The Berlage General Dutch Diamond Workers Union
transformed into museum
Renovation of the Vakbondmuseum, Amsterdam
The General Dutch Diamond Workers Union was founded in 1894 and got their own building six years after. On the street-side the building, designed by Berlage, has an imposing entrance stairs and the tower with a lamp in the shape of a diamond.
In the basement are a typesetting and printing company, on the ground floor are meeting rooms and offices. On the first floor are also offices and on the top floor one finds a library and reading room for the members of the League.
The hall with the stairs forms the great charm of the building: the daylight, the glazed masonry, the stone slabs and the lamp of the decorative artist Eissenlöffel are very special. Jubilees and important achievements were the reason for beautification of the building.
During the renovation in 1990, with a modest budget, the building was made suitable for exhibitions and was restored. Authentic field poles were replaced, the glass to the basement has been restored and on the top floor the ceiling, the iron columns and original wall paintings have been exposed.
ClientStichting Nationaal Vakbondshistorisch Museum